Ruby on Rails is a fast-moving framework. Regular releases often bring in new functionality, improve existing features, and remove legacy code. Remember protoype.js? Nobody wants an out-of-date app.
Whilst you’ve been adding new features to your own Rails app, things have moved on. Every new release of Rails (as well as Ruby and the gems on which your app depends) increases the likelihood of your app being susceptible to bugs, incompatibilities and security issues.
Why upgrade my Rails App?
Upgrading your app to the latest stable release of Rails (and Ruby) means you can take advantage of new features, modern best practice, and gain speed and efficiency. You’re app will be protected by the latest improvements and fixes that the Rails and Ruby teams have delivered.
Our Rails Upgrade Service helps you do just that. We’ll bring your app right up to date and migrate your code to the very latest Ruby and Rails stable releases. Once you’ve had a chance to review your upgraded app, we’ll help you to deploy it and ensure that everything continues to run smoothly.
Here’s how it works.
- We’ll start with a free 15-minute consultation via phone to discuss your current app, and any issues it’s experiencing. Book your free consultation now
- Next, we carry out a review of your app’s current code and prepare an upgrade plan. We’ll audit any gems or services your app depends on to ensure compatibility. The plan will include an estimated timeframe to upgrade your application.
- We’ll upgrade your app, and set up a private staging server so you can try things out.
- Once you’re happy, we’ll deploy your upgraded app to your production server(s).
How long will it take?
This depends on the complexity and current state of your application. We’ll advise you of our expected timescales as part of the code review. We expect to complete most upgrades within 1-2 weeks after review.
How much does Rails App Upgrade cost?
The price of a Rails App Upgrade starts at £1295* for applications running on Rails 4.0 or above, or £2995* for applications running on Rails 3.0 or above. For earlier versions of Rails, please contact us.
* Prices exclude VAT at 20% for all UK and EU customers and all billing is in GBP.
PS. Not ready to upgrade your Rails app just yet? Sign up for our free email course, and we’ll send you a few tips for improving your Rails web app and keeping things running smoothly on your own.