Whilst you’ve been adding new features to your own Rails app, things have moved on. Every new release of Rails (as well as Ruby and the gems on which your app depends) increases the likelihood of your app being susceptible to bugs, incompatibilities and security issues.
Seeing your Rails app as a long-term investment, rather than a delivered-and-done project, means you can more quickly act on new business trends, test your propositions, and adapt to your business’ needs.
All the while knowing that when those services your app depends on—Facebook, Google, Mailchimp, SendGrid, Heroku…—your app is ready and can quickly be updated to remain compatible and relevant.
Ruby on Rails Maintenance and Service Plans
Our Ruby on Rails App Maintenance and Service Plans are designed to do just that. After an initial review of your app and audit of its code, we’ll work with you to manage the day-to-day operation of your site, so you can get on with running your business. All plans include monitoring, support, and updates to keep your app running healthy. You can opt to enhance your plan with feature development, continuous improvement, infrastructure, proactive analysis, and more.
“Working with Plymouth Software feels like we have a skilled developer and web consultant as part of our own team. As well as being a safe pair of hands in maintaining our site, Chris is great sounding board for ideas and improvements”
Every plan gets you on-hand advice with an experienced Rails developer and business owner to help you optimise your site for results, improve your marketing and keep you updated with the latest information to stay ahead of your competition.
Keep Your App Secure
Legacy versions of Rails no longer receive security patches, meaning that any apps built on a version of Rails below 4.2 are not receiving severe security fixes. As we work to consistently upgrade your app as new versions of Rails are released, you can rest assured that you’re receiving the latest core security patches.
What's included in a Service Plan?
Here’s what you can expect when your Ruby on Rails app is on a Service Plan:
- An initial review of your application’s codebase and configuration.
- Monitoring of your application to make sure things keep running.
- Pro-active updates and patches as new versions of Rails, Ruby and Gems are released.
- Monitoring of third-party APIs and updates to remain compatible.
- Bug fixes and minor updates.
- Email and online support.
- Monthly report giving an overview of your app’s key metrics.
- Configure and monitor backups of your app’s data.
You can upgrade your plan with other services, including:
- Increased development allowance for enhancing your app.
- Increase and maintain test coverage.
- Hosting and configuration improvements, such as containerising your app.
- Building Continuous Delivery and Deployment into your app.
- Priority response and phone support.
Is a Service Plan right for me?
Service Plans are designed for existing applications that are currently in production. We’ll look after the app’s codebase on your behalf. This means we’ll monitor it, proactively apply updates and fix issues, and help with technical issues so you can concentrate on building and growing your business.
Service Plans are great for you if:
- You want issues fixed as they arise.
- You want to keep your web application secure.
- You want to enhance your app using the latest features in Ruby on Rails.
- You have full ownership of your code, and can licence us to work and manage it on your behalf.
- Your code is hosted on Github or similar (if it’s not, we can help. <a class=”link primary hover-dark-primary”href=”/contact/?prod=rails-biz-coaching”>Get in touch</a>).
- You like the flexibility of month-to-month services, and no long-term contracts.
Service Plans won’t be a good fit if:
- You want to build a new application, or your app hasn't launched yet (we can help if you're at this stage—get in touch)
- You want to add lots of new features in your application, or make major changes (we can accommodate these through a Service Plan upgrade, though).
- Another development team is actively working on your application.
- You don’t have ownership of your code.
- You need 24/7 on-call support for your application.
How do the Service Plans work?
- You submit an application for the Service Plan using our brief form. This lets us gather some basic information about your needs, and gives you the opportunity to ask any questions.
- We'll schedule a good time to talk via phone/video so we can find out more about your goals, your Rails app, and discuss any problems that need to be addressed.
- Next, we’ll carry out a review of your app and get a good feel for how things currently stand.
- For older apps, or apps where we find critical issues, we might suggest you use our other services, such as our Rails App Upgrade service, to bring you up to modern standards. Either way, after the review is complete, you are free to choose the Service Plan that best fits your needs.
- Each month you’re on a Service Plan, we schedule a call to review your app’s progress, let you know of any important upcoming events (such as major releases to Rails, or new technologies we can use to improve your app), and plan what you’d like to get done in the month ahead.
- Meanwhile, we continuously monitor your app and respond to any issues. We’ll also perform regular checks for code quality and out-of-date dependencies, working in the background to upgrade them for you.
- When we need you to check things over before they’re released, we’ll let you know so you can test things out on a staging server.
How much availability do you have?
To ensure a consistently high level of service for all our clients, we restrict the number of active Service Plans we support. We do currently have availability for Service Plans.
How much does a Service Plan cost?
Our new Rails App Service Plans start from £2000* per month and are charged on a month-to-month basis. Just like the software-as-a-service (SaaS) apps you use every day, there’s no long-term commitment. You can cancel anytime, and your plan will simply continue until the end of that month.
* Prices exclude VAT at 20% for all UK and EU customers. All billing is in GBP.
Can I pay in advance?
Yes. Service Plans are usually paid on a monthly or quarterly basis, but you may opt to pay 12-months up-front in return for a 10% discount.
Can I change my Service Plan?
Yes. Just like an SaaS app, you can up- or down-grade your Service Plan at the beginning of each month as your business’ needs change.
If you choose to pay for your Service Plan in advance, you can also pause and resume your Service Plan.
Where are you located?
Do you track hours? Can I get a time-sheet?
No. We sell our services on a fixed-price basis. We will always give you an upfront price so you know exactly what you will be paying for specific work.
We will not take on your work if we don’t think we can provide you with a substantial return on your investment.
Find out more about how and why we work this way at valuepricing.uk.
Like all of our work, Service Plans are covered by our 100% satisfaction guarantee. If for any reason you are not entirely happy with your Service Plan, and after letting us know we are unable to put things right to your complete satisfaction, then we will refund you the previous month's fee in full.
Our Rails Service plans are starts with a review of your existing application to ensure the service is right for you and your business. To get started, simply complete our brief form.