Ruby on Rails is a fast-moving framework. Regular releases often bring in new functionality, improve existing features, and remove legacy code. Remember protoype.js? Nobody wants an out-of-date app.
Modern software applications—including websites—rely on dozens of external dependencies, all of which are regularly updated and patched as time goes on, your customers’ needs and expectations change, new bugs are found, and security issues are discovered.
Rather than rebuilding your site from scratch—and ending up in the same situation 6 months from now—a better approach is to invest in your current site, upgrading to the latest, most secure platforms, and improve upon things in a little-and-often approach.
Seeing your Rails app as a long-term investment, rather than a delivered-and-done project, means you can more quickly act on new business trends, test your propositions, and adapt to your business’ needs. All the while knowing that when those services your app depends on – Facebook, Google, Mailchimp, SendGrid, Heroku… – your app is ready and can quickly be updated to remain compatible and relevant.
Ruby on Rails Maintenance and Service Plans
Our Ruby on Rails App Maintenance and Service Plans are designed to do just that. After an initial review of your app and audit of its code, we’ll work with you to manage the day-to-day operation of your site, so you can get on with running your business. All plans include monitoring, support, and updates to keep your app running healthy. You can opt to enhance your plan with feature development, continuous improvement, infrastructure, proactive analysis, and more.
Every plan gets you on-hand advice with an experienced Rails developer and business owner to help you optimise your site for results, improve your marketing and keep you updated with the latest information to stay ahead of your competition.
What’s included in a Service Plan?
Here’s what you can expect when your Ruby on Rails app is on a Service Plan:
- An initial review of your application’s codebase and configuration.
- Monitoring of your application to make sure things keep running.
- Pro-active updates and patches as new versions of Rails, Ruby and Gems are released.
- Monitoring of third-party APIs and updates to remain compatible.
- Bug fixes and minor updates.
- Email and online support.
- Monthly report giving an overview of your app’s key metrics.
- Configure and monitor backups of your app’s data.
You can choose to upgrade your plan with other services, including:
- Development time allowance for enhancing your app.
- Increase and maintain test coverage.
- Hosting and configuration improvements, such as containerising your app.
- Building Continuous Delivery and Deployment into your app.
- Priority response and phone support.
Is a Service Plan right for me?
Service Plans are designed for existing applications that are currently in production. We’ll look after the app’s codebase on your behalf. This means we’ll monitor it, proactively apply updates and fix issues, and help with technical issues so you can concentrate on building and growing your business.
Service Plans are great for you if:
- You want issues fixed as they arise.
- You want to keep your web application secure.
- You want to enhance your app using the latest features in Ruby on Rails.
- You have full ownership of your code, and can licence us to work and manage it on your behalf.
- Your code is hosted on Github or similar (if it’s not, we can help. Get in touch).
- You like the flexibility of month-to-month services, and no long-term contracts.
Service Plans won’t be a good fit if:
- You want to build a new application, or your app hasn’t launched yet (check out our Launch30 service)
- You want to add lots of new features in your application, or make major changes (we can accommodate these through a Service Plan upgrade, though).
- Another development team is actively working on your application.
- You don’t have ownership of your code.
- You need 24/7 on-call support for your application (e.g. someone to restart your server at 3am…).
How do the Service Plans work?
- Every Plan starts with a free 15-minute consultation via phone/video. Book yours now.
- We arrange a good time to talk so we can find out about your business goals, your Rails app, and discuss any problems that need to be addressed.
- Next, we’ll carry out a review of your app and get a good feel for how things currently stand.
- For older apps, or apps where we find critical issues, we might suggest you use our other services, such as our Rails App Upgrade service, to bring you up to modern standards. Either way, after the review is complete, you are free to choose the Service Plan that best fits your needs.
- Each month you’re on a Service Plan, we schedule a call to review your app’s progress, let you know of any important upcoming events (such as major releases to Rails, or new technologies we can use to improve your app), and plan what you’d like to get done in the month ahead.
- Meanwhile, we continuously monitor your app and respond to any issues. We’ll also perform regular checks for code quality and out-of-date dependencies, working in the background to upgrade them for you.
- When we need you to check things over before they’re released, we’ll let you know so you can test things out on a staging server.
Every Service Plan starts with a free 15-minute consultation via phone/video call. We’ll arrange a good time to talk so we can find out a little more about your business goals, how your Rails app is currently serving you, and any problems you’re having.
How much availability do you have?
To ensure a consistently high level of service for all our clients, we have to limit the number of Service Plans we can support. We currently have capacity for
five three two service plan customers.
How much does a Service Plan cost?
Our new Rails App Service Plans currently start from £1500* per month and are charged on a month-to-month basis.
Just like the software-as-a-service (SaaS) apps you use every day, there’s no long-term commitment. You can cancel anytime, and your plan will simply continue until the end of that month.
* Prices exclude VAT at 20% for all UK and EU customers and all billing is in GBP.
Can I pay in advance?
Yes. Service Plans are usually paid on a monthly or quarterly basis, but you may opt to pay 12-months up-front in return for a 10% discount.
Can I change my Service Plan?
Yes. Just like an SaaS app, you can up- or down-grade your Service Plan at the beginning of each month as your business’ needs change.
If you choose to pay for your Service Plan in advance, you can also pause and resume your Service Plan.
Where are you located?
Do you track hours? Can I get a time-sheet?
No. We sell our services on a fixed-price basis. We will always give you an upfront price so you know exactly what you will be paying for specific work.
We will not take on your work if we don’t think we can provide you with a substantial return on your investment.
Find out more about how and why we work this way at valuepricing.uk.
What if I’m not happy with my Service Plan?
All our Service Plans come with our 100% satisfaction guarantee. If for any reason you are not entirely happy with the service we provide, and after letting us know we are unable to put things right to your complete satisfaction, then we will refund you the previous month’s fee in full.
PS. Not ready to move to a Service Plan just yet? Sign up for our free email course, and we’ll send you a few tips for improving your Rails web app and keeping things running smoothly.